January 04, 2007

Greg Parsons


I found out today that a friend of mine died in an accident. He was 25 years old. I knew him in the Christian Union of the University of Abertay. He had a heart to minister to hurting children and was living to do so. He was impacted by the suffering of the world, and chose to live to bring light into darkness. He loved Jesus and was gentle and kind. His name was Greg.

There's a quote I wanted to write about today - before I heard the news about Greg. I think its okay to still write about that quote. I think Greg would agree with it. I hope its okay to talk about these things in the same space as sharing my respect for Greg and the sorrow I feel at this news. To me, they both kind of fit together.

We are alive and what are we living for, what are we doing in this world? What am I doing? I want to make use of the time I've got - and I want it to be for "being Jesus" alive and well on this needy and misplaced and broken earth. I can see the happy side of life, the fun and comfort and all the rest - but I want to live for the side of life that is crying out for life. In heavan I'll know freedom and joy - but will have no more opportunity to meet the hurts of the broken or stand up for all that is good in the midst of all that is bad. I heard it called "the art of redemptive suffering" once. Help us Lord Jesus to follow you! To be like you! To let you shine through our lives! Give us your heart Lord, and call us close to your side so we know well how to follow you...

Two guys are talking to each other, and one of them says he has a question for God. He wants to ask why God allows all this poverty and war and suffering to exist in the world. And his friend says "well, why don't you ask?" The fellow shakes his head and says he is scared. When his friend asks why, he mutters "I'm scared God will ask me the same question" Over and over, when I ask God why all of these injustices are allowed to exist in the world, I can feel the Spirit whisper to me, "you tell me why we allow this to happen. You are my body, my hands, my feet." ~ The Irresistable Revolution, Shane Claibourne

I'm so sad for those that Greg has left behind. I'm so glad I knew him briefly. I wont forget about him nor the life he chose to live. Lord I'm glad he is will you, bless him so much.

No comments: