November 30, 2006

one thing I seek - psalm 27

I seek many things. More often than not they are simple things. I saw "Alexander the Great" last night - and I do not seek to conquer all of Asia and India and beyond for glory or escape - but I follow hard after 'my life' and its fulfillment on lots of levels, and do find that there is something elusive in all the world holds, even in living out my 'christian life'. I suppose it natural to seek to be and do well and enjoy contentment and love and be provided for and be fulfilled. But Psalm 27 speaks of something different. It says

"One thing I have asked of the Lord and that I will seek; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord" and then further "When you said "seek my face" my heart said to you "Your face oh Lord I shall seek" and then the encouragement at the end "Wait for the Lord, be strong and let your heart take courage, yes wait for the Lord."

In Isaiah 40:31 it says "Those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tierd, they will walk and not become weary."

I wait at times on the Lord. I do seek his face. And yet is the Lord my "one thing I seek"? But I do know and belive in my heart that life is renewed in His presence and there is joy inexpressible when Christ is all that is desired and the one pearl of great price that is worth everything else. I am glad of the grace of the Lord on this journey of finding God as King, and I am glad that Jesus Himself showed a life of friendship and adventure and deep love and wisdom.

And as I ponder these thoughts I'm looking forward to the pancakes, caffe latte and freshly squeezed oraange juice I've ordered for breakfast! Though there is a rightful place for the King that we more often than not do not give - yet still he shines the sun and gives the rain and his call is a call to the heart and he has the way to call to the heart - through his majestic bueaty and love. He truely is the one thing worth seeking.

Pancakes are here!

2 comments:

Sally said...

Dear Beth, I love this psalm too and often return to it when feeling uncertain. It is great to read what you have been doing and thinking -especially as I can visualise you in Shkodra. Have a good day and weekend!

Mary said...

i love to read your blog, beth, thank you again.